Wednesday, June 4, 2008

[VS2008, Silverlight] "The project type is not supported by this installation"

So I spent the last 5 hours trying to get my VS2008 [which I had to do a re installation on] to recognize and open my silverlight projects. After uninstalling and reinstalling I was faced with the error message when trying to open my Silverlight project:
"The project type is not supported by this installation"
I figured that there was an issue with the Beta Toolkit for Visual Studio 2008, so I began my journey of uninstalling those components, reinstalling them, running into issues, hacking the registry, and cursing a lot. After all this was said and done... I reinstalled the Tools only to get the exact same error again.

Searching this error I found a webpage that instructed me to do the following:

Launch a command window, navigate to C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio x\Common7\IDE (where x is the version number) and run:

devenv /setup
That's it. That's all. Works perfect now. Thank you Andrew Gunn... I love you.

ps. I was curious about devenv /setup so I looked it up... it appears to merge menus, toolbars, command groups etc from all packages available. Not exactly sure what this means FULLY, but I imagine it tells VS2008 about all the packages [including the Silverlight package] that are available to it and that somehow in my re installation this package was missed.

/shrug.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude... The exact thing happened to me (3 hours and everything) and this works.
Funny thing is that I tried this (except being STUPID I did it against VS2005 instead of 2008).... DUURRR... good post. good stuff.

Anonymous said...

I went through same process with SL3 and VS2008 and running devenv /setup from command prompt did the trick. Thanks a lot!

Anonymous said...

This didn't help me. I still get project type not supported by this installation pop-up.

Please help.

Anonymous said...

This didn't help me. I still get project type not supported by this installation pop-up.

I have VS2008 with 3.5 sp1 and Silverlight 3.0 installed.